From A Year’sDreams (2008):

 

August 9

I was a younger man – poor – single – in the city.  I needed a car, and found a large ancient rusted and battered van for sale very cheap.  It even had a toilet in the back.  I knew my parents would find this purchase odd but I thought it was a great deal (maybe it was free). A couple of young women near me were also enjoying it.

Then, out with it on the streets of a big daytime sunlit city.  The van became a small bus, and I’d got a job as a sort of free-lance bus driver (my bus was the van, still shabby and rusted). I picked up people at corners, got stuck in various ways and places, people called out in annoyance or gave advice. I didn’t know the city, or at least this part of it.  At last stopped and let out my disgusted passengers.  One who’d been kind, a young tourist, stayed with me.  He and two friends (one in a black velvet cutaway coat) were out to see religious shrines connected to their faith.  “If I could find the Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto,” I said, “I could get oriented, and know where I should go.”  But – they said – that’s far away, up on the top of a hill.  Did I mean that shrine? (pointing to a sort of Moorish-looking building). No, I said, that’s Temple Immanuel.

But we were now standing in front of a small white marble building  -- shrine to some lay saint-like figure -- and I thought this was maybe the place I had meant.  The sweet young Christian tourists and I went in. A person who welcomed us there – old, with an affect like Morgan Freeman – told me I wasn’t done with bus driving.  From an ancient printer in a dark office he produced a paper – my route! Now I'll know where to go, what turns to take on what streets.  I told the Christian (his friends were gone) that I am very bad at directions – he said he’d guide me (!). 

We set out.  I thought maybe I could become just a gypsy bus and keep all the fares, but decided that would be wrong, and probably I’d be caught at it anyway. 

Comments

  1. Almost an anagram pun there in the wished-for site at the far hilly top of the hierarchy of places... Loreto / oriented ... and then the rhyme with "go."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog